Is your passion for denim, legal and IP strategy as high as ours? As Legal Counsel within G-Star we expect you to identify legal risks and provide solutions to the business challenges.
Just imagine –
As our new legal counsel IP / Digital Marketing, you operate as a hands on business partner for various internal teams. Together with these teams you will identify legal risks and provide solutions to the business challenges at hand. These solutions need to deliver competitive advantage to the business objectives taking into account cost, legal and reputational risk. You must have capability to adapt to changing priorities in line with the business and organizational needs in the ever-evolving e-commerce and digital landscape.
The in-house legal team consists of legal professionals and specialists and based in Amsterdam and Shanghai. A specialist dedicated to Legal Operations supports the processes and activities of the team. The General Counsel heads Legal and Corporate Affairs and is end-responsible for all legal and governance aspects of our business. The team is working to enhance and protect the business and brands on a daily basis in order to support all our global companies. Our company transformed from straightforward traditional wholesale to an ever-evolving complex but sustainable retail company combining online, mobile, tech. We work proactively with cross functional teams of the business of G-Star across the world. Our key focus is not only to solve problems, but also to add value to the business. The role is based in Amsterdam at our global headquarters, and will report to the General Counsel.
• Advising on (digital) media, e-commerce or marketing related topics.
• Supporting the internal teams in drafting and negotiating commercial contracts in the field of digital marketing activation, apps creation and e-commerce, 3D-design, talent or celebrity partnerships, online collaborations and licensing.
• Develop and providing regular training and e-learning on relevant IP / Digital subjects to internal teams.
• IP strategy and managing the G-Star global intellectual property portfolio, drafting and reviewing IP related contracts and clearance of new collections. Identify IP-related risks in our products, marks and marketing activations and address these adequately to the internal teams.
• Manage IP claims in a litigation context.
What you bring to the table:
• You have at least 5 years’ experience of working as an IP lawyer or consultant in the fashion, entertainment or FMCG industry.
• The European IP law, Data Protection, Consumer Protection law, Trade secrets and Advertising laws & regulations have no secrets for you. If you also bring knowledge on US IP law that’s a plus.
• You are proactive, highly collaborative and respond positively to change and new ideas. You tackle matters outside of your area of expertise with curiosity and eagerness, and you’re motivated to invest in a modern legal department.
• Understanding the industry and creative design processes comes naturally to you.
• You’re digitally savvy by tangible understanding and experience in social media platforms and their rules and regulations to related marketing activations.
• Are you also detail-oriented, organised, efficient and resourceful with strong follow-through skills? We’re heart-eyed.
Finally, do you have an international mindset and excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and preferably another European language? We’d love to meet you!
What we bring to the table:
Beyond a competitive salary, working at G-Star brings many other perks and exciting opportunities: an awesome and diverse team that collaborates to change the game; a work environment that offers room for fun, inspiration and innovation; a clothing budget; a healthy, fresh and delicious lunch and even discounts in various fitness clubs and last but not least, a discount on a new bicycle.
What will happen next:
• We will thoroughly review your CV.
• We have a large expat community at G-Star, so please apply in English.
• When we hopefully find what we are looking for, we will call you for a chat and if it’s a good fit, we’ll plan our first interview.
• Because we’re very curious how you’d survive a mission impossible, we ask you to prepare a real-life business case in a follow-up interview.
• When we’re ready to commit to each other, we’ll finalize the terms we’ve discussed and we’ll explain to you how to order your first pair of jeans from the G-Star employee store. Good luck.